Connecting International Healthcare Professionals with UK Employers

If you’re a nurse or healthcare professional looking to relocate to the UK, Trinity Healthcare is the employment agency for you. We work with private and public sector healthcare organisations in the UK, offering job opportunities across a wide range of specialities.

Are You a Nurse? The UK Needs You.

nursing jobs UK healthcare jobs carehomes hospitals UK
Salary & Benefits Package

Typical benefits package offered by UK employers*:

  • Band 5 Nurse Salaries from approximately £27,000
  • International flight to the UK
  • Visa application and sponsorship
  • Access to free NHS healthcare
  • Support with your professional registration process
  • CBT and OSCE examination fees
  • Accommodation sourced and prepared (and often paid for the first 1-3 month)

*Salary and Benefits vary according to employer. For full details of the relocation and salary packages on offer, please contact us.


To become eligible for employment as a Registered Nurse in the UK, you must fulfill specific requirements. Our team will be on hand every step of the way to help you, with expert advice and support.

nursing jobs UK healthcare jobs carehomes hospitals UK

Current requirements*:

  • You must be a Registered Nurse
  • Hold a nursing degree and current nursing license
  • Minimum 6 months’ registered practice experience
  • No more than 12 months out of practice (preferred)
  • English language proficiency (applies to nurses who have trained in non-majority English speaking countries)
  • Academic IELTS minimum score of 7.0 in Reading, Speaking & Listening and no less than 6.5 in Writing
  • OET pass at Grade B in Reading, Speaking & Listening and no less than C+ in Writing
English Language Qualifications

Becoming a UK Registered Nurse

There are a number of steps to becoming a UK Registered Nurse. Our team will be on hand every step of the way to help you, with expert advice and support.

nursing jobs UK nursing jobs UK healthcare jobs carehomes hospitals UK

For more information on becoming a UK RN and taking the CBT (Computer Based Test of Competence), please visit the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s website:

NMC Logo


Required Documents, Certifications & Registrations
What is the Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC) Registration?

The NMC is the independent regulator for nurses and midwives in the United Kingdom and for nursing associates in England. To work as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the UK, you must be formally registered with the NMC. To be eligible to register with the NMC, you are required to meet specific requirements and pass a Test of Competence. You can start the application process on the NMC website.

What other tests and documents are required before I can practise nursing in the UK?

If you are a non-native English speaker you must pass either the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Occupational English Test (OET). These are internationally standardised tests of English language proficiency for non-native English speakers. The minimum scores required by the NMC are:

Academic IELTS at a score of 6.5 in Writing and 7 in Reading, Speaking and Listening.
OET at a score of C+ in Writing and B in Reading, Speaking and Listening. If you have an Academic IELTS score of 6.5 or an OET score of C+ in each subcategory, you may qualify to combine your scores with a second sitting (the tests must be completed within 6 months of each other).

Once you pass both the IELTS and Test of Competence, you will receive a Decision Letter from the NMC. These documents will then allow you to sit for a final test, called the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) following relocation to the UK. This is the last step in the process of gaining your NMC registration. Consult the NMC website for more information.

How long does this process take?

It usually takes between three to six months to complete the NMC registration process.

Employment & Earnings
When will I be able to come to the UK and start my new job?

Once you have all your required documentation and you have been offered a position, your new employer will secure a work permit (Certificate of Sponsorship), after which you can travel to the UK. Your employer will also need to conduct background checks to confirm your identity and criminal clearance, along with a health clearance (including a TB screening), and reference checks.

How many hours should I expect to work each week?

As you will be placed in a permanent, full-time position, you can expect to work in shifts, for a total of 37 to 44 hours per week. Shift patterns can vary and nurses are required to be flexible. Your employer is obligated to compensate you for any overtime work, and to provide sick leave and holiday leave. Please note that all new employees regardless of their nationality are placed on a probation period for their first six months of employment. During this time period it is typical to receive on-the-job training and guidance, along with career development and personal goal setting.

How much will my salary to be?

Your initial salary will depend on your position. In most cases, you must complete your NMC registration in the UK in order to receive your NMC pin and get paid as a Registered Nurse (RN). If you are not yet NMC registered, your initial salary may range from £20,800 to £22,000 per year. Once your registration with the NMC is complete and you have your PIN, starting salaries for Band 5 Nurses start from £27,000 per year. These figures vary from employer to employer. Tax and National Insurance payments are mandatory and will be deducted from your salary on a monthly basis depending on the amount you earn.

How often can I expect to be paid?

This depends on the employer but you will typically receive your salary every month, on a specific day.

Will I be able to open a bank account?

Yes. A Trinity Healthcare consultant can help you to open a bank account. You will need to present your Biometric Residence Permit, which you will obtain after your arrival in country at a local Post Office (you will have this information included when you collect your VISA in your home country). You will also need to present a letter from your employer that includes your physical address in the UK, the name and address of your employer, your employment status and monthly salary. It should only take a few days to process your application and open the account. We can assist you with every step of this process.

How long is my work permit good for?

Your employment agreement will typically be for a period of 24 months; with the option of extending should your job performance be satisfactory.

What if I wish to continue working and living in the UK?

After three years of continuous residence in the UK, you will be eligible to apply for a Further Leave to Remain (FLR) to extend your stay up to an additional two years, after which you may qualify for indefinite leave to remain and eventually be able to obtain a British passport.

Travel, Accommodations, Family, and Emergencies
Who covers my travel expenses to the UK?

While each employer has its own benefits package, in most cases, your employer will cover your airfare to the UK. Some may deduct the expense from your salary over a period of time.

What essentials should I bring?

You will be living in a climate with four seasons, and temperatures can average between 2 to 7 degrees Celsius but sometimes get as cold as 0℃ during the winter months. You will want to bring appropriate clothing for all seasons. Other items include UK adaptors for charging your devices. It is also advisable to bring at least £300 in cash. Make sure you have proof of valid prescriptions for any medications you take with you. We can help advise on what important documents you will need to bring with you. These include but are not limited to:

  • Your passport (with VISA)
  • Biometric Residence Permit Collection Point Letter
  • Your accommodation arrangements
  • Travel documents including your plane ticket
  • Police clearance
How will I secure accommodations?

Trinity Healthcare can assist you in finding appropriate accommodation that are conveniently located and suitable to your needs.

Who pays for my accommodations?

Your employer will typically advance the first 1 – 3 month’s rent and deposit to your landlord and deduct these housing costs from your salary over a period of time. You will be responsible for covering your rent thereafter directly with your landlord. You will likely sign a rental contract, typically for six to 12 months.

Can I bring my family with me?

Unless you have family in the UK already, we advise not bringing family members with you during your initial settling in period.

I want to stay in touch with my friends and family back home. What are the best international phone services and Internet providers in the UK?

While Trinity Healthcare cannot endorse any specific mobile or internet company, there are many options and plans to choose from in the UK. To immediately notify your family of your safe arrival in country, you can obtain a SIM card at any of the Mobile Operating Vendors at the airport. Longer term calling plans are offered by Three, EE, and Vodafone, among others. These companies also provide Internet services. Others include Plusnet, BT and Virgin Media.

What happens if I become ill and need medical care?

You will have free access to the UK’s National Health Service (NHS). Coverage includes Hospital, Accident & Emergency (A&E) care, General Practitioner (GP) and clinic visits at any of the NHS network hospitals or clinics.